Monday 1 August 2016

Everywhere and No Where :
"I smoke and drink and drink and smoke like will it ever stop, but I think about a lot...like you and me and me being me and me not liking what I see..." -Pooch

Been gone a while, I've had time to myself...kindaaaaa.
My mind was really focused on uni, Hardly was socializing like that outside my class or specific group, going in early and coming home late. For our last module we had to create a performance of our choosing although we did have to use the elements of what we learnt in our other classes but majority of it you had full reign of.
When you're in a drama course especially, being in a group for three to four months, you're practically dedicated to your project, and in ways you actually forget what life is like outside this (thinking back), although I didn't have much life outside this but whatever, you're just researching for your performance, marking all the research into your book cause you need to evidence, creating new material, rehearsing...rehearsing....re...hear..sing.
For our performance we looked at women in prison, family and women in general who have had a rough life. We took inspiration from a woman named Sara kruzan, and then we picked two more women Cyntoia Brown and Aileen Wurnos. But mainly Sara, as she was a survivor of human trafficking and this resulted in her killing her pimp. Each of these women have had similar stories and they were all quite young when these situations happened, that intrigued us quite a lot. Each of us were heavily involved with the women we were researching on, although we created our own characters, we adopted the mannerisms, our behaviors, life before we even entered this 'space'. This 'space' which we initially had as prison was changed to an anonymous place where we were trapped together in a confined place, but yet still were everywhere, which represented anyone who was in this form of confined solitary, it can be a psychological and physical torment, for the women in prison it was both.  We had to play to these but also show that even though their life was behind these walls  or 'magical space' they in themselves were a community and that goes without saying for many who are locked up, there is a society that carries on beyond this one, there are just restrictions.
As for my character pooch/Payton, she is quite like a dog literally. In a way she's controlled yet harsh with the words she says and realistic, unlike the other women she doesn't play the 'imagination game' which the other women liked to play, she does see things past this, just the present. She's not a dumb girl yet not to the point of higher intellect, now that I think about her she plays on my mind. When you're acting you sometimes embody characters abit too much and I think we all did that, I know I was exhausted by the end of our project and I couldn't wait to sleep without dreaming about rehearsal or lines or movement. It takes over your world.
If I find a picture I'll put one up and show you. It's been a hell of a ride but in the end it opened my eyes to a side society that everyone turns a blind eye too.

No comments:

Post a Comment