Friday 18 March 2016

My fro-story



Where do I start…oh yeah, ok. So I texturized and permed my hair I believe in year 5, back then my hair was extremely thick and would tangle so I rarely ever had it out, it was always braided or in some form of a style. I decided to make that decision to get my hair permed because it was a struggle in my eyes back then. I went to the hairdressers with my mum and I actually never knew I was getting it done till I saw my head feeling lighter when I came up from getting it washed, you know those ones when the water just locks in to your fro, well on this occasion my hair was straight. I’ve always had thick hair so that was never an issue in all honesty, but I wasn’t noticing that it was getting thinner as I used it more and more, my hair texture obviously changed and there would be times where it would break. Rolling on to secondary, I was still perming my hair, I had different hairstyles, I remember wanting a fringe and I think that’s what I liked about when I was younger is that I was a little less hesitant with different hairstyles than I am now. I cut that fringe up and shaped it, had a side fringe, straightened my hair damn near every day, coloured it, mainly just lighter browns.  There was a point where it was breaking off quite badly and my said it needs to be trimmed, to my surprise my hairdresser cut it to the nape of my neck and I was moaning all over the place to my friends to my mum, I was mad. But ironically I like short hair now.
Now the natural movement has always been around, but when I was younger I hardly saw it and although my mum turned natural a couple years before I did, I still wasn’t fazed by doing that with my hair, until I finished my a levels. I was getting sick and tired of basically putting this sh!t in my hair, I actually was just getting fed up to be honest, I was being a lot more conscious of certain things and I really liked seeing these women with their hair being curly and full of life. I always thought that natural hair almost tells a story of each individual, you just don’t know what they’ve been through. So, University 2013, I started and had a good set of people around me, and I remember me having weave in at that time, and I thought that’s it I’m done with perming. I was on a new journey myself and I was excited doing this for myself, that same night I looked under the bed and saw a perm box and I just threw it out. No need for the unnecessariness, and I don’t want my hands to go wondering and going back to square one, but when I do something I usually stick to it.
I watched a lot of YouTuber’s with natural hair, and I still do. Just to try and get the basis of being a part of this movement which I’ve been out of since the age of 9 or 10. And now I was 18 going on 19. It must have been a couple months into being natural and I was seeing an extreme difference, the roots obviously were reverting back and I was almost liking it, but I had the permed tips. It was hard, a lot of people might not understand it but it’s an of transition from something that you think you can easily fix to something that is almost out of the unordinary even though it’s all your hair. I just know I was a couple months in and my natural curl pattern had changed from when I was a child, and I was now feeling like new. I stood at my sink with a pair of scissors and I slowly but surely started to take off pretty much the majority of the permed dead ends and left these curls. Sink full of hair and a short hair. In a way I was semi lucky cause my hair always seemed to grow back to the length it originally was. It probably was shorter than when I got it cut at the hairdressers and that was all done by my hands, and I was happy about that, cause it was a step forward.
I’ve coloured it twice since it’s been natural, which is a risk obviously. I know I’ll end up colouring it again at some point but not for now. But it is hard work at times because I wasn’t really committed in the beginning to much, but more recently I’ve been a lot more nurturing towards it, making sure I detangle it, wash it and oil treat it every week. Oil my scalp every day, put it in a protective style or weave it, I’ve been on the ball.  There’s still some things I want to learn how to do properly with the right hair products for myself but that’s something I have to learn for myself. Although I’d like to probably do the wash and go I live in England London and the way the weather has been it’s just too risky, wet hair + cold= illness. I know already I have some downfalls to my hair journey as the water in London is harsh but that’s not gonna stop me cause my goal is waist length.
I’d say for anyone who wants to make the change that there is nothing wrong with doing something that is right by you, if this is the journey that you want to take then so be it, patience is key and shrinkage is real.
It’s my fourth year and I’m not looking back.
 


 Knuckles

No comments:

Post a Comment